Monday, October 5, 2009

the Beach! Silver Sands State Park



We went to the beach on Sunday. In the past, the only beach that I have become familiar with for taking my dogs to is in New Hampshire. A little bit of a drive and we got a late start on Sunday. Al suggested a beach in Milford, CT where he used to live. We headed out, beautiful day.

When we got there of course there are many signs indicating no dogs on beach, dogs on leash, etc. I always respect those signs during the beach season, but off season usually things are pretty loose. We checked it out and there were quite a few dogs on the beach. We put Zenny and Lucy on long lines and off we went. I'm very glad that Lucy was on a long line, she is very birdie and was extremely interested in the seagulls. Not to be negative, but I"m pretty sure I would not have gotten her back out of the ocean if she had been loose. I used the opportunity to work on "no bird" and reward her for returning to me. Lots of work needed on this before I"ll feel comfortable letting her off the line. Too bad, but every dog is different and I just need to remember that. Zenny was very into the smelly seaweed and dead horseshoe crabs. We spent over 2 hours on the beach, got some ice cream at a local Marina and in general had a beautiful day. We packed clothes for coldness on the beach and could have used shorts and sandals instead!

click on the title of this blog for more information about Silver Sands State Park.

No comments: