Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Lucy in Training




Lucy and I making strides forward in our training sessions and specific skills. Its taken a bit to get her excited and interested in training as a specific activity but the last month or so I've noticed a real difference. I'm sure turning 2yrs in December helped somewhat along with my understanding her learning style.

We have a number of things we are working on, tricks, obedience and agility! We are teaching poles using the 2x2 method and she seems to enjoy that a lot. It teaches them bit by bit and really concentrates on learning entrances and exits - teaching the beginning and the end! Our tricks are adding up, sit, down, chin, stand, cheek, "are you tired" (laying on her side), "drop and and roll" (from a stand, drop to the ground and rollover), "are you shy" (dropping her head down between my legs), "stick it" (targeting any object or my hand with her nose and holding it there until I release her). Our newest trick we are working on is "nails", which will consist of her lifting one paw up and holding it in the air until she is released. We are also working on some basic obedience skills in a fun way, figure 8's to work on heeling with me and turning, going to a target mat away from me and working on sits, downs, stands, front work, from anywhere to my front and dumbell work. Now that I write all of this, I see we really are very busy. Good for her, and that includes lots of playing and hiking as well. A good start to the year.

No comments: